Sunday, October 01, 2006

Notre Dame

While I was visiting the Chicago area to take a class for work. I decided I would like to visit Notre Dame University. After all, it is only 90 miles away!!

I naively headed on my way right after class let out, at 4:30 in the afternoon. I figured what, only 90 miles. That should only take about 1 1/2 hours or so on the freeway, right? Well, about 3 1/2 hours later I drove onto the campus at South Bend, Indiana.

What I had not taken into account was 1) Getting Lost. 2)Road Construction, 3) Silly freeway interchanges, Oh, and did I mention Getting lost? (I found my way on the freeway to Indianapolis at one time!)

Once again, I sorely missed having my navigator (my wife) at my side. Actually, I figure this was her way of getting revenge at me for leaving her to stay at home with the kids!

I did have an enjoyable time once I got there. I was impressed with the gothic architecture with most of the buildings I saw. Many of the walls were ivy covered.

I wish I could have been there during the daylight. It looked like a beautiful campus. I would like to take a tour someday.

There were students milling about the campus as I was there, attending night classes, going to the library -- the normal student things. I must have looked a little odd there with my mini-tripod taking photos of the buildings.

The tower of the Cathedral (250 ft. tall) has a carillon in it. It would chime on the hour, quarter hour, and half hour. It reminded me of hearing the carillonon the BYU campus when I was a student there.

I was only able to stay there for about an hour. Then I had to get back to Chicago, and be ready for my class the next morning.

I finally ended up at my hotel about 12:30 in the morning. Oh, what a night!

You can view more of my Notre Dame Photos here.

1 comment:

Lisa M. said...

Hey.

THIS is really really neat. I actually LOVE the night time pictures!

Don't ya love the ramblings streets of Utah... They are nice to come home too, arn't they?