Saturday, June 10, 2006

No More Barium Blues!

Note: This post was written on my Palm Pilot while in the waiting room at the hospital (again).

It's a beautiful day today. Sunny and clear. Not too hot, not too cold – just right! A Goldilocks day! So how am I spending this beautiful Saturday afternoon? Why at the x-ray dept of Cottonwood Hospital, of course.

Two weeks ago I came here and had to swig barium for an hour-and-a-half. Then I had at CT scan.

The results of the scan showed a 1.3 cm pocket of fluid on my bowel, that was near where the drain tube had been placed. I am here today for yet another CT scan to determine what is happening with this fluid pocket. Hopefully it is getting smaller or has disappeared.

I came here expecting to have to drink barium again. I have been steeling myself all day for this eventuality. When I got here though, I found that I will (am now) be drinking an iodine solution, mixed with a few other fine "contrast" chemicals, all mixed in with raspberry flavored Crystal Lite. I got mine made up fresh from the pharmacy with just the right blend of ingredients, shaken -- not stirred.

It's actually not too bad. It just tastes like Crystal Lite. Its much easier to get down than that thick and chalky barium solution. I mean, I'd really rather be doing something else on a day like today (even taking a nap would be wonderful!) However if I have to drink a contrast solution for a CT scan, I’ll take this one.

Hmmm. it’s taking longer than usual to get into the CT scanner. It is now 3:30 pm and I have been here for 2 hours now. I have drunk the entire liter of the Crystal Lite iodine solution. At 4:00 my children will be performing at a piano recital. The recital is only about 10 minutes away from the hospital. But I am getting concerned that I won't be able to make it to the recital on time.

Finally, they took into the radiology area and I had the CT scan.

I hurried as fast as I could to change out of my lovely hospital gown. Then I high-tailed it out to the car, and went as quickly as I could to the location of the piano recital.

I got there at just about 4:30 pm. I got to see the last performer play his numbers, but my kids had already played both of their numbers. I was disappointed that I had missed their performances.

After the recital was over, I took some photos of the kids next to the grand piano on which they had performed their music. After a few minutes, everyone else had left the room, except for our family. So I had the kids play their recital pieces in a special encore performance – just for me! After they each played, they told me it was my turn. My daughter requested that I play “What Child is This”, which I did. It sounded really nice on the grand piano.

After our little encore performance, I was reminded of a story my stake president has told. His boys were on their high school wrestling team. With his church responsibilities (he has been in either a Bishopric, or a stake presidency for the last 18 years!) There were times when he wasn’t able to attend his sons’ wrestling matches. His solution: Have the boy’s re-enact their matches on the living room floor, later that night, with dad being the victim (er, standing in for the opponent). Dad would wrestle with the boys, and their relationship was built and preserved -- even though dad couldn't be at the actual wrestling matches. What a wise and good idea President! I’ll have to remember the concept of re-enacting performances for future use, should it become necessary.


Tigersue said...

Glad you were able to have some special time with the children to perform for you and to share your gift with them.
I hope the scan shows all is well, and yay for no barium!

s'mee said...

That reinactment is a great idea! I think every parent dreds missing the events our kids are in. Even now as they are grown and out of the house, I feel sad that I am not at all of their special occasions.