Saturday, November 25, 2006

Family History - United Brethren

Photo of Benbow Pond

I have been collecting personal histories of some of my ancestors. Two of the ancestors I have been researching are John Perry, and his wife Grace Ann Williams.

In the Spring of 1840, they lived in Herefordshire, England, and were members of a sect called the United Brethren. They had separated themselves from the Wesleyan Methodists, and had been praying for more truth and light regarding the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Wilford Woodruff, who was a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles was serving a mission in England at the time. He felt directed by the Spirit to go to this region and to preach the Gospel, where he came to the farm of John Benbow, and made the acquaintance of the United Brethren. Three days later, John Perry was Baptized in the pond on the Benbow farm. By the following August, more than 600 people had joined the Church who were members of the United Brethren. Of all their members, there was only one who did not eventually join the church.

I have posted histories of John Perry and Grace Ann Williams on my Family History Blog. I also have posted excerpts from Wilford Woodruff's journal regarding his experiences with the United Brethren.

4 comments:

Karma said...

I have been to Benbow Farm and seen a reinactment of those baptisms. I often wonder what it would be like to live during that time period.

T. F. Stern said...

I have similar thoughts as expressed by Karma b; only in the other direction, why are there not more groups or sects that have splintered off of large protestant organizations looking for the fulness of the Gospel. I would think the Episcopal Church would be prime with their leadership being turned over to a self proclaimed lesbian.

Anonymous said...

I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend. I wanted to say hello to everyone on my blogroll, and wish them well, because this is Thanksgiving weekend, and I am grateful for my Internet friends!

Anonymous said...

My name is Laura Anderson and I am interested in Mormon Grove where John Perry died. I thought you might be interested that Milo Andrus wrote an obituray for John Perry and it was published in the St Louis "Luminary"

I am going to be doing a research project and trying to get these graves marked some how. To contact me I am at paffanatic10@yahoo.com