Monday, January 17, 2005

Latest Talk

I have posted the talk I gave yesterday over at the Gospel Study Page. You can read it here, if you would like. The topic is on Self-Mastery.

Usually in the week before I give a talk, much of my free time is taken up in talk preparation. Next month is stake conference, so I won't have to give a regular sacrament meeting talk. However, I have to prepare a training session for Bishops and Ward Mission Leaders as part of the Priesthood leadership meeting of stake conference.

The last Sunday of February, I am also assigned to go to a youth correctional facility. This is a youth detention center, for those who have been in trouble with the law. Our stake has responsibility to provide non-denominational religious services to the inmates. We have a branch presidency that has been called. Once a month, a member of the high council attends the correctional facility to help assist in teaching classes there. There are four different groups of youths there, and non of the groups are permitted to intermingle with each other. I will be responsible for teaching a class. However, I have to teach it four times, once for each group. Also, since this is a state-run facility, the services have to be non-denominational, we can only teach from the Bible, not the other Standard Works.

That will be an interesting experience. In a couple of weeks, I will attend Sunday services there just so that I can get an idea of how things work, and how best to prepare for the class that I will be teaching at the end of February.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: