Saturday, August 13, 2005

Lovely and Amazing


Happy Girl!
Originally uploaded by Emily Elizabeth_.


In my blog reading last night, I found a new (to me) blog called Lovely And Amazing. The blog is written by the mother of a Downs Syndrome Child, Named Emma Jayne. Emma's mother, Emily Elizabeth, is a wonderful writer. I couldn't help but be moved by her loving thoughts and feelings about her precious child. I left a comment at her site, and I would encourage you to visit. Especially if you have, or know of, children that suffer from disabilities.

One post in particular, call The Dance, was particularly moving. Go ahead and read it, and see what I mean.

I felt compelled to comment on this post. In part, here is what I said:


. . . I must compliment you on being a very gifted writer. I especially found this post on "The Dance" to be particularly moving. Your use of language has a wonderful flow to it, and presents a vivid picture to the reader. I have a love of language, and your writing is almost lyrical.

I am also sensitive to the situation facing you and your family. Although we don't have a child with T21 (Downs Syndrome), we do have a son with several learning disabilities, combined with ADHD. We have had some struggles of our own, particularly with the educational system. Currently we have chosen to home school him -- thanks to the sacrifice my wife is willing to make of her time and effort.

Like you, we have come to appreciate and love our son for who he is, although we are still very concerned about what the future may hold for him. We are trying help him in any way we can.

I would suppose that is much how God feels about each of us too -- He loves us for who we are, knowing full well our weaknesses and shortcomings. He is concerned about our futures as well, and wants to help us through the challenges we face.

. . . My thoughts are with you, stay strong. Your undying and determined love for Emma Jayne really shines through. . .




best tracker

1 comment:

Emily Elizabeth said...

Oh David, you make me blush! Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement; it means so much to know that some of my words have touched you...as yours have touched me.

The only think that I would add to your lovely post is that while I am sure some people do suffer as a result of their disabilities, my daughter does not...at least not yet. As she grows and becomes more disabled by a society that forces it's construct of disability upon her, she may indeed suffer quite a bit. But that suffering will most likely be at the hands of a society that fears difference and resents change; not because she has an extra chromosome. Her biggest disability will always be those that define her by her syndrome and rob her of the ability to define herself.

Both of our children will struggle, and both of us will do everything we can to enable our children as they go forth into the world. In the end I think the best thing that any parent can do for their children is to be honest about their weakness, but to realize that those weakness aren't shortcomings at all...they just are. Those weaknesses are as much of a part of our children as are their strengths, and together they only comprise a small amount of whom our children are.

I wholeheartedly believe that it isn't the end of a life that determines it's worth, but rather the journey thatlifetime travels. Already my journey with my little girl has been more amazing than I ever though possible. I only hope that every parent is able to say the same.

Please, please keep visiting us; I love to know that you are out there. Your words are as beautiful and powerful as your images are, and that is no easy feat.

I think this is the begining of a beautiful friendship indeed...